A few days later, it was still on my mind, so I made it for my parents. Every time I come home, my parents and I like to make appetizers and sit out on the patio with a bottle of wine. It's our catch-up time and we all really look forward to it every time I come home. As soon as I brought it out, they were swooning. My parents are cheese-heads like me and I could already see their mouths watering.
This recipe is super super simple and it's packed with some serious flavor. Make it for anyone and everyone. If you hate it, you're weird.
- 8 oz Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 1 oz package of cream cheese (low-fat if you're watching the lb's)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 3/4 tsp of fresh basil (dried basil works too, but this seems to have more flavor)
- Dash of salt & peppa'
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 (2 oz) jar of pimentos
- 3 tbsp diced green onions
- 3 big ole garlic cloves, pressed
1. Cut your block of cheddar in half, then cut into slices that are about 1/2 in thick
2. Do the same thing to your cream cheese
3. Combine these in an alternating pattern (see picture above)
4. Make the marinade by combining everything else above into a bowl. I found it was easiest to cut my basil and green onions into very small pieces.
5. Pour marinade over cheese and let sit covered, in the fridge for AT LEAST 30 minutes, but preferably overnight.
6. Serve with crackers or toothpicks!